Fertility egg donation is basically a process that involves receiving or retrieving egg from a healthy donor and using it for the process of assisted reproduction. The egg is usually donated by a woman who is younger to the recipient and the baby reproduced by this process generally requires a sperm donor.
Process of fertility egg donation
- Firstly, the egg donor receives an injection to fertilize the hormones to support the ovulation of multiple eggs. Usually a woman releases just one egg per month, and the injection of hormone assists in the release of multiple healthy eggs at once.
- Once the eggs mature, they’re retreated and the appointment is scheduled for the retrieval.
- The egg donor is sedated with the use of mild spot-based anesthesia and a guided ultrasound needle is interpolated into the mature follicle to retrieve the egg.
- Once the egg is removed from the donor’s body, it is generally fertilized using the recipient sperm or a donor sperm inside a laboratory.
- Once the egg develops into an embryo, also called a fertilized egg, it is transferred into the recipient’s body.
- The fresh transfer cycle involves the donor and the recipient to follow the same cycle. Hence, this is done with medications.
- In a mature cycle, this need not take place and the sometimes they embryos are even frozen and transferred to a later time.
- If the entire process is successful, then the healthy embryo is transplanted into the recipients’ uterus that develops into a healthy baby.
Why fertility egg donation?
This procedure is generally undertaken by women that are incapable of producing healthy and mature eggs. This could occur due to advance maternal age and reports suggest the egg quality generally reduces after the age of 37.
Who uses the process?
They’re generally undertaken by various kinds of people with different priorities and complications:
- Couples where the woman has a poor egg quality but wishes to have a baby with the male sperms.
- Woman with no ovaries, but with a uterus
- Women suffering from genetic complications that they do not want to pass on to the child
- Women above the age of 40
Most hospitals offer a fertility egg donation package that generally contains the cost and all the other information needed. This package is generally used by the patient to use the donated egg using the in vitro-fertilization cycle. Donors are of different types — like known, unknown, proven, and unproven.
Egg donation sources
The egg donation and receiving is healthy option that to give birth to a baby. It is so common that the women who produce excess eggs, donates it to the infertility and other commercialized agencies to help other women in need. Commercial agencies generally match the donor’s and the recipients egg and the man’s sperms to check compatibility. Some might even request a close friend, recipient or a relative to donate eggs. They even have the option of choosing fresh eggs donation cycle or a frozen cycle. The options are not only endless, but are also safe.